For almost a month now I am a proud owner of Google`s Nexus 4 smartphone. I had to switch from the stock Email client to K-9 Mail application. What really bugged me up was the dog-envelope icon K-9 developers had chosen. In my thinking it was not appropriate for an email client at all. So, I was looking for a way of how to replace that icon, and ultimately ended on APK Multi-Tool web site, which tool, among other things, may replace APK`s icon, and do it proper. Basically you have to do this:
1. Download and extract APK Multi-Tool in a folder of yours choice, and run its Setup script and follow the instruction;
2. Copy K-9.apk from your phone and put it under “place-apk-here-for-modding” sub-folder of the above location;
3. Run the Script script, and choose option one – Extract for K-9.apk (the extracted files shall go under “projects” sub-folder);
4. Go find them and replace the file icon.png in both “res\drawable” and “res\drawable-hdpi” sub-folders with a new icon;
5. Make sure your phone is connected in Camera mode to your PC`s USB port and all drivers have been installed;
6. Go back to the Script window and choose option 7 – Zip, Sign, Install. The modified APK will be sent to phone and installed.
NB! Make sure the original application is uninstalled in advance because APK Multi-Tool shall generate a different signature of the apk file and installation shall fail. You don’t have to do this again for any subsequent uploads, i.e. would you like to test some other icons as well.
Here is what my new K-9 Mail application`s icon looks like — ahh, much better: